Import Trade Documents You (May) Need When Exporting

Import Trade Documents you (may) need when exporting

Kelsey Vierkant
Kelsey Schenk
Marketing Officer

In my lastĀ blog on exporting, I described the various types of export documents there are, like theĀ EX-A, theĀ EU-A, theĀ T2L, theĀ COM-AĀ andĀ T2LFĀ document.

In this blog, I will take you through some import related documents you might need when you want to export your products. Why? Because when you export, somebody on the other side needs to import!

Import Trade Documents are needed to make sure goods can enter a country, the same as Export Documents are needed to make sure goods can leave a country. Please find an explanation of various import(ant) documents that may be needed to ensure your goods reach their final destination smoothly.

Certificate of Origin

AĀ Certificate of OriginĀ is not a customs document, but you may need it to import goods into a country. A certificate of origin can be made by the producer or exporter and is usually authorized by the Chamber of Commerce in the country where the goods were produced or obtained. The document proves that it has met the criteria to be considered as originating from a country. Beware that this is not necessarily the country of export. A certificate of origin can be used by the Customs or Tax Authority at the country of destination to determine tariffs.

EUR1 Certificate

TheĀ EUR1 CertificateĀ is a Certificate of Origin of sorts. It is used for exporting goods from the EU to countries with which the EU has Free Trade Agreements. Depending on the agreement for certain goods you have to pay lower import duties, or even no import duties at all. This is called the preferential rate.

You do not have to use a EUR1 certificate, but without it, you have to pay the full import duties, and you canā€™t benefit from preferential rates.

A EUR1 Certificate can be requested at the Chamber of Commerce.

A full list of the EU Trade Agreements that are in place and under negotiation can be foundĀ here.

Import Requirements at Destination

There may be other documents that are required for your goods to be allowed to enter the country of destination. The rules per country vary. Contact the buyer or the customs authority in that country to find out more.

An example of such a document is theĀ ATR.1 Certificate. This document is used to benefit from lower import duties when export goods from the EU to Turkey.

Ask an Expert
If you have any questions about how to fill out or request certificates or other documents,Ā contactĀ one of our customs specialists. They can advise you or fill out or request the certificates for you.

Photo byĀ Tom FiskĀ fromĀ Pexels